freetds - Re: FreeTDS woes..

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT fax.sno.cpqcorp.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS woes..
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 09:50:57 +1100

Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> is this a systemwide setting on the SQL server?

No. From my examination of the screenshots and process for turning it
on, it is per database.

> I don't have direct access to it, and doubt that setting can be changed
> because the client software that the entire company uses may rely upon
> how it's set up now.

No, the client is unlikely to be affected by a change that increases the
authentication methods. I pushed our administrators to do it using a
business justification, and there was no impact on the proprietary
client software - Clarify.

Because we did this, the transactions via the client have reduced, thus
reducing the database server load. We designed our PHP to ask for fewer
columns, and to cache data. It takes from 20 to 90 seconds to open a
database record via the client, or about a tenth of a second using the
simplified PHP. Our users are happy.

--
James Cameron (james.cameron AT compaq.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/ (or) http://quozl.netrek.org/