freetds - Re: dbconvert function in db-lib

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dbconvert function in db-lib
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 07:49:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Bill Thompson wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> Will this function convert a date held as a SYBCHAR in the format "Dec 5
> 2001 10:34:47:506AM" (the default character output format of a date using
> Sybase bcp -c) , into the SYBDATETIME format ?
>
> I've tried looking at tds/convert.c , but the code is WAY too clever for
> me :-)...

_string_to_tm parses a character, if it's a digit it gets added to a field
after that field being multiplied by 10, if it's not a digit the field is
incremented. So, the code will handle:

12/01/2001 12:43 or
12-01-01-12:43 or even
12!01!2001/12/43 (i don't know who writes dates this way, but the code
attempts to be lenient)

but nothing with character fields (month names, AM/PM designator etc..)

the code is really a quick hack and needs to be replaced by something a
bit more robust. It is also not internationalized at all.

> P.S. dblib bcp work is still going well.

Good to hear.

Cheers,

Brian