freetds - Re: FreeTDS --> MS SQL Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS --> MS SQL Server 2000
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:53:22 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:

> On 4 December 2001 8:11, Brian Bruns spaketh unto ye recipient:
> > See the FreeTDS Users Guide
> >
> > http://www.freetds.org/userguide/php.html
>
> How do I determine what kinda option I need? dblib, ctlib, or odbc?
>
> I'm also using DB2, so I can't afford to break that. What's the simplist
> way
> to test the connection?

DB2 will croak with dblib, namespace conflicts between the two.

Ctlib is probably your best bet otherwise, it is fairly mature, although
it needs so TLC to get built right. (Side note: I checked in changes to
PHP to resolve this, but who knows when it'll turn up in a released
version of PHP).

ODBC support in freetds builds nicely with PHP but is still evolving.
Long term this will probably be the preferred option, and is certainly
atractive if you care about porting scripts between different DBMS
systems. It may however have a few glitches that need resolving (working
hard to get everything in place by the 0.53 release).

Cheers,

Brian