freetds - Re: FreeTDS --> MS SQL Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jez Humble <jez AT whatsonwhen.com>
  • To: 'TDS Development Group' <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS --> MS SQL Server 2000
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:22:46 -0000

>How do I determine what kinda option I need? dblib, ctlib, or odbc?

Whichever one works for you. The options in the user manual are, as they
say, listed in order of simplicity and stability - dblib is the simplest and
best tested, whereas odbc is the worst.

>I'm also using DB2, so I can't afford to break that. What's the simplist
way
>to test the connection?

You're going to have to recompile and reinstall PHP whichever option you
use, but you're not going to break DB2 (except if you break the whole thing)
by adding support for SQL Server.

The simplest way to test the connection is to do something like this in PHP

$conn = sybase_connect(server, username, password);
$rs = sybase_query("SELECT @@VERSION", $conn);
$row = sybase_fetch_row($rs);
print $row[0];

and it should print out the current version of SQL server etc.