freetds - Re: db-lib bcp interface

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: db-lib bcp interface
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:51:16 -0500

Bill,

Herewith, the complete bcp.txt:

<snip>
Bulk Copy
---------

BCP Data Format

+---------+-----+-----+---------------+----------+-------------+------------
+
| | non | row | | | | size of
|
| size | var | num | fixed columns | row size | var columns | adjustment
|
| | cols| | | | | table

+---------+-----+-----+---------------+----------+-------------+------------
+
+---------+------------+
| end of | offsets |
| data | to varlen |
| pointer | data |
+---------+------------+
</snip>

I don't think you'll find a need to do any endianism work in the bcp code.
If it were needed, it should be handled (as a last resort) in tdslib. I
think it's Brian's design intention to bury all server/version issues in
tdslib, freeing the client interfaces (dblib/ctlib/odbc) to deal with an
idealized server.

Missing features, as I'm sure you've noticed, are bcp from host variables
and transactions.

> I'll start working on it then.

Excellent! Rewriting the bcp library has been on my todo list since I got
involved with FreeTDS. I'd be interested to hear which parts are of
particular interest to you.

Regards,