freetds - Re: iconv support

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: iconv support
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:04:28 -0600

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 05:22:14PM -0500, Brian Bruns wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > All excellent news! With your permission, I would like to upload a
> > freetds package built from current CVS to the Debian archive. As we all
> > know, there are a number of showstopper bugs in the 0.52 that's
> > currently included in Debian; current CVS addresses enough of these
> > issues to be of some value to users of Debian unstable, and I don't
> > think it would hurt matters to give that same group of dedicated beta
> > testers the opportunity to help stamp out bugs before the 0.53 release.

> I'll bundle up a 0.53pre2 (are we on pre2? ...looking...yes) if it'll help
> giving it a name instead of 'FreeTDS CVS2001-11-25-17:01' ;-)

> Ok, its on ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/freetds-0.53pre2.tgz I
> only made sure it built, so hopefully all is well and I'll update the
> webpage tommorow.

> The only other major thing left for 0.53 is making sure DBD::Sybase 0.93
> is working completely. Michael used some as yet unimplemented features in
> the new version. Personally, I don't think he really had a real reason to
> do so, he's just trying to push us towards better compliance. ;-)

Hah... sure, you do this just as I find a segfault-inducing bug in the
ODBC driver. ;)

I'm committing a fix for FreeTDS's handling of server messages. It
appears the current code makes the assumption that whenever tds->parent
in non-NULL, a valid message handler (and error handler) will have been
set up. Well, this assumption does not hold true, at least in the case
of the ODBC driver. I'm now explicitly checking that our function
pointers are non-NULL before we call them; someone who knows ODBC better
might want to actually implement a message handler at some point, but
this check is good to have in there nevertheless.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer