freetds - Re: Implementation of select Limit

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Eric Deutsch <edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Implementation of select Limit
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:17:35 -0800 (PST)

This post reminds me of a recent software item I ran across, ADO for PHP:

http://php.weblogs.com/ADODB

It looks very nice on paper: universal DB interface for PHP is really
needed.

I haven't gotten around to downloading and trying this yet. Has anyone
any experience with this, especially with Apache + PHP on Linux connecting
to MSSQL? It appears from the web site that this should be possible,
although it's not clear.

If anyone has comments to share about this software, I'd be most
interested.

thanks,
Eric

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Rui Ribeiro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this I'm about to say won't help much, but it seems to me that the
> mechanism being searched
> by the original posteris something provided by Active Data Objects (ADO).
> In ADO you can specificy
> the dimension of a page of records and then you can ask for a specific page
> within the recordset
> returned by the original query. I am not aware of the cost of this
> mechanism on the server, because
> its obvious that at some point the required work (finding the total number
> of records, finding and
> retrieving the records for the selected page) will have to be done. But it
> sure eases the life of
> the programmer.
> Unfortunately in Unix or Linux the only way you could use this would be
> through an ASP plataform
> such as Chili!ASP or something similar.
>
> It sure would be nice to have this in freetds, but it would be quite a move
> from the current
> philosophy.
>
> Regards
>
> Rui Ribeiro

Eric Deutsch email: edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org
Institute for Systems Biology Voice: (206) 732-1397
4225 Roosevelt Way NE, Suite 200 FAX: (206) 732-1260
Seattle, WA 98105-6099 TJ's Location
http://www.systemsbiology.org/