freetds - Re: Implementation of select Limit

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Implementation of select Limit
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:17:34 -0600

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 07:32:06AM -0500, Brian Bruns wrote:

> Doesn't SQL Server have a limit-type statement? Sybase doesn't but I'm
> pretty sure MS added one....back, back, back into the recesses of my mind,
> I think its like:

> select top 100 * from table

You can select records from the top, yes -- I've always been annoyed at
this deficiency of MS SQL, because usually when I want to limit the
results returned, it's because I'm running the query from a web script
that returns x number of results /at a time/... which means after you
get the /first/ 100 records, logically you might want to look at the
/second/ set of 100 records, and MS SQL doesn't provide a sensible
interface to this that I've seen.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer