freetds - Re: Port 4000 used for connection attempt - no matter what the actual setting is

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Port 4000 used for connection attempt - no matter what the actual setting is
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:43:36 -0500 (EST)

Hmmm, can you test with SQSH to see if it happens there too? Or whether
this is specific to the ODBC driver?

By way of techical information, 4000 is the default for the driver as
configured --with-tdsver=5.0 (the default). This is overridden in a few
places: 1) the freetds.conf file 2) the TDSPORT environment variable 3)
the login structure as set by the application (the ODBC driver in this
case).

So, it would appear the config routines are not reading the 'port =' from
the freetds.conf file correctly for unknown reasons.

or

If your server name is the same as the host it is on (ie the hosts name is
'foo' and you called your server entry 'foo') then by a series of defaults
the IP address will be correct (gethostbyname() will be called on the
servername to get an IP) but the port will be the default. If this is the
case, then the freetds.conf file is not being found/is unable to be
opened.

Brian