freetds - Re: Accessing MSSQL from C on Linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Accessing MSSQL from C on Linux
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:04:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 JefferySamuel AT binus.ac.id wrote:

> btw: what's the different between ctlib and dblib ??
> sorry for one liner...

dblib was Sybase's original database access api, personally I like using it,
it does what it does well. Microsoft even still supports it (but only for
TDS 4.2).

Around the time Sybase system 10 came out, Sybase developed ctlib as a "next
generation" api. The idea was that datasources may not be a relational
database and a broader API was needed for more advanced options (such as
placeholders for instance). ctlib has less function calls but more
arguments per function. personal aside: ctlib has always struck me with a
design by commitee feel, it does everything, but it's a bit harder to use.

We support all three APIs on any dataserver (Sybase ASE, ASA, or MS SQL).

Brian