freetds - Re: Accessing MSSQL from C on Linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Accessing MSSQL from C on Linux
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:27:23 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

We don't document the APIs because they are detailed elsewhere
(sybooks.sybase.com for ctlib/dblib and MS for ODBC). Do not use the
tds.h interface directly because the API is not stable as well as
undocumented. It's a matter of personal preference which of the APIs to
use, for instance if you ever needed to port the program to another
database engine, then ODBC may be the ticket (although it should be said
that the ODBC driver is the newest of the bunch and may have some small
issues).

Brian