freetds - Re: philosophy

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: philosophy
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:38:57 -0700

Lowden, James K writes:
> > i can verify that ASE 12 works using FreeTDS 0.52.
> > i connected from a BeOS PC and also from a Solaris 2.51 server.
> > ASE 12.0 was running on an ultra-sparc on Solaris 2.7
> > In fact i have a FreeTDS and SQSH bundle for BeOS which works very well.
>
> I can't help but be impressed by this.
>
> One measure of software design is surely flexibility: the ability to be
> used/adapated in ways the designer never intended.
>
> On a scale of 0 to 1, what do you think the probability is that:
>
> 1. Scott Gray intended SQSH to work on BeOS?
> and
> 2. Brian Bruns intended FreeTDS to connect SQSH on BeOS to a future
> version of Sybase?

Actually it's mostly that BeOS has C libraries and system calls that
are compatible with "normal" unix calls, so that sqsh, FreeTDS, and
other C code compiles and runs...

However, I agree that having the source code gives us at least the
possiblity to getting things to run on new and different platforms.

Michael
mpeppler AT peppler.org - mpeppler AT mbay.net

  • philosophy, Lowden, James K, 10/16/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: philosophy, Michael Peppler, 10/16/2001
    • Re: philosophy, Norman Palardy, 10/16/2001