freetds - Re: Charset problem in freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Charset problem in freetds
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 03:16:18 -0400

"Dmitry N. Hramtsov" wrote:
> I am using freetds-0.52 and sqsh-1.7 on Debian GNU/Linux (woody).
> I can successfully connect to Sybase 12.5 (on linux) and MS SQL 2000
>
> When I specify "-J koi8" option to sqsh, nothing happens. It still
> continue print in unicode with Sybase (and cp1251 with MSSQL).
>
> I know freetds can't convert charsets, but why when I working with Sybase
> it prints unicode? I think _Sybase_ should (on _server_ side) convert
> characters to client's encoding.

Hi Dmitry,

Welcome to FreeTDS.

I'm not sure I understand "when I working with Sybase it prints
unicode". Last I checked, Sybase doesn't deal with Unicode without
special extensions.

I don't know how the server is told to convert charcter sets, per the
sqsh documentation. It may well be that the API is not implemented or
is broken in FreeTDS. :(

I'm also pretty sure that ascii values >127 won't be passed cleanly by
FreeTDS. Sorry. We'd like it to be otherwise.

You might be able to help with inconv. Do you know anything about
UTF-8? Are you trying to store Russian text in a Microsoft server? If
yes, and you'd be willing to work with us, to test new code and help get
it to work, that would be great.

Regards,