freetds - Connect to Sybase ASE ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Palardy <norm AT kirais.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Connect to Sybase ASE ?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:29:27 -0600

Just trying to use freetds based on what I've gleaned from the list and various members who have helped out with private e-mails

But I can't get it to connect to Sybase ASE 12

I grabbed the freetds-current.tgz distribution from http://www.freetds.org/download.html

Compiled with

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds --with-tdsver=4.2 --enable-dbmfix --enable-shared --enable-static
make
make check
make install

edited /usr/local/freetds/interfaces to add the servers I wanted to connect to (they are correct entries)

renamed /usr/local/freetds/etc/freetds.conf /usr/local/freetds/etc/freetds.conf_old

the program simply tries to connect and check whether the login succeeded or failed so I can essentially make a sybase pinger

But, the following ALWAYS says the connection failed regardless. I always get the NOT Connected message printing out
I can connect to the exact same SQL server using JDBC from the same client so I know the connection works.

printf("Attempt to connect to %s\n", argv[1]) ;

dbproc = dbopen( login , argv[1] ) ;

if ( dbproc == NULL )
printf("NOT connected\n") ;
else
printf("connected\n") ;

return retCode ;

Login is NOT null. And, the error & message handlers that I've defined do not get called.

Is freetds not functionally the same as dblib ?

I know this bit of code works with Sybase' libraries on Solaris for versions 1192 and 1200.