freetds - Re: FAQ update

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FAQ update
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:32:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, James K. Lowden wrote:

> All,
>
> Brian Bruns wrote:
> > I've moved CVS to the freetds project on SourceForge, along with the long
> > defunct bug tracking.
>
> I updated the FAQ as follows:
>
> 5.1 (cvs) Points to Source Forge.
> 7.1 (new) tries to explain @@textsize
>
> A couple of thoughts for discussion:
>
> * Can/should the anon ftp access at Source Forge be used for submitting
> patches?
I prefer seeing them in my mailbox...It's the easiest for me to deal with
(I can eyeball 'em and such). Although, I have a couple of pending
patches waiting right now (my apologies to the author), just wanting to
get CVS settled before checking them in.

> * What should the FAQ say about submitting bug reports. Not that we got
> no stinkin' bugs here, of course.
Good question. I'd rather see the this is not working for me/I can't get
it to compile/etc... stuff here on the mailing list. For clearly defined
'I have freetds working but X doesn't work the way it should' bug reports
would be fine. It can be a slippery slope though. Bugs are alway welcome
on the mailing list, however if you want something more formal, fill out a
bug report too (users option).

> Please let me know if there are errors in the FAQ, or if you have
> suggestions for it.

How about the Solaris stuff needing -ltds for PHP/Perl? This is a bug in
our autoconf stuff, but I haven't the slightest what is causing it (and by
extenstion, how to fix it).

Something like:

Q. When compiling [PHP/DBD::Sybase/other] on Solaris (Sparc or x86), I get
a message like "undefined symbol g_tds_err_handler".

A. There is a bug in the FreeTDS autoconf scripts. The workaround is to
add "-ltds" to the link command.

For PHP edit the EXTRA_LIBS line in config_vars.mk

For DBD::Sybase edit the Makefile after running 'perl Makefile.PL'. (Not
sure if this is right...don't have time to verify it).

If you have a Solaris machine and the requisite autoconf skills to fix
this, a patch would be appreciated.

The other one would be:

Q. I couldn't get DBD::Sybase 0.93 to compile.

A. DBD::Sybase 0.93 uses some features of ct-lib not currently available
in FreeTDS, we are working on adding them. Until then, try DBD::Sybase
0.91 which should work fine.

That's all I can think of that needs adding right now. Anybody else got
some recent FAQs that aren't covered?

  • FAQ update, James K. Lowden, 10/14/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: FAQ update, Brian Bruns, 10/14/2001
    • Re: FAQ update, James K. Lowden, 10/15/2001