freetds - Re: globally defined RETCODE variable

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: globally defined RETCODE variable
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:12:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Brian Bruns wrote:
>
> > dblib is littered with badly named globals. If you need to compile
> > freetds within the same program as DB2 (or other SQL/CLI-like
> > interfaces) I would strongly recommend using ctlib. For php that is
> > --with-sybase-ct flag on the configure.
>
> > Renaming RETCODE is simply not possible, as it is a feature of the API
> > defined by Sybase/MS that we are implementing. Change it, and you kill
> > compatibility with every dblib program out there. Namespace clean up is
> > one of the big reasons Sybase moved to ctlib.
>
> OTOH, it should be possible to structure the PHP source better such that the
> dblib and DB2 header files are never used at the same time. I consider it a
> bug in the PHP source that these header files should all need to be included
> by a single C file.
>
> If there are no conflicting symbol names between the two libraries, there's
> no
> reason why PHP should be unable to handle conflicting #defines that are
> internal to modules.
>
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

Yes, this incidently happens with Sybase's OpenClient libs as well, as we
moved from --with-sybase to --with-sybase-ct on our AIX machines when we
had to compile DB2 in as well.

On the other hand, I ran into incompatibilities between dblib and a
realtime graphing package that was not so easily separated. ctlib has a
much more thought out naming.

I've got a list of things I need to make patches for on PHP wrt
freetds when I get the time...

Brian