freetds - Re: globally defined RETCODE variable

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: globally defined RETCODE variable
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 13:41:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Brian Bruns wrote:

> dblib is littered with badly named globals. If you need to compile
> freetds within the same program as DB2 (or other SQL/CLI-like
> interfaces) I would strongly recommend using ctlib. For php that is
> --with-sybase-ct flag on the configure.

> Renaming RETCODE is simply not possible, as it is a feature of the API
> defined by Sybase/MS that we are implementing. Change it, and you kill
> compatibility with every dblib program out there. Namespace clean up is
> one of the big reasons Sybase moved to ctlib.

OTOH, it should be possible to structure the PHP source better such that the
dblib and DB2 header files are never used at the same time. I consider it a
bug in the PHP source that these header files should all need to be included
by a single C file.

If there are no conflicting symbol names between the two libraries, there's no
reason why PHP should be unable to handle conflicting #defines that are
internal to modules.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer