freetds - Re: Connecting RedHat 7.1 to MS SQL 7

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Connecting RedHat 7.1 to MS SQL 7
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:09:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 rwilbert AT e-xpedient.com wrote:

> Am I right?
>
> do I need to have the CT-Lib installed before I compile freetds ?
> otherwise how does DBD::Sybase use freetds ?
>
> Here is what is happing to me:
>
> freetds compiles fine
> the ct-libs (which DBD::Sybase needs ) compile fine
> DBD::Sybase core dumps when SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds
> DBD::Sybase fails make test when SYBASE=/opt/sybase-11*
>
> I notice that nothing from sybase is pointing to freetds. How does it know
> to use freetds?
>
> If I compile DBD::Sybase with env SYBASE=/opt/sybase-11* then change the
> SYBASE to /usr/local/freetds the test perl script core dumps.
>
> I am a total lost as to what to do ? does anyone have any
> suggestions

I'd love to help you, and in fact I started to do just that, but it
appears that the problems Michael P. reported a month ago about missing
symbols are still unaddressed (the only responses I found in the
archives were related to a side comment he made about making it easier
to determine which version of freetds one had in hand).

The steps are roughly these:
1. cd /usr/local/src
2. cvs -d :pserver:anon-cvs AT freetds.internetcds.com:/Repository login
3. cvs -d :pserver:anon-cvs AT freetds.internetcds.com:/Repository checkout
freetds
4. cd freetds
5. ./configure --with-tdsver=7.0
6. gmake
7. su -c 'gmake install'
8. cd ..
9. lynx http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-module/DBI/DBI-1.19.tar.gz
10. lynx
http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-module/DBD/DBD-Sybase-0.93.tar.gz
11. tar xzf DBI-1.19.tar.gz
12. tar xzf DBD-Sybase-0.93.tar.gz
13. cd DBI-1.19
14. perl Makefile.PL
15. gmake
16. gmake test
17. su -c 'gmake install'
18. cd ../DBD-Sybase-0.93
19. vim PWD
20. export SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds
21. export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:$SYBASE/lib
22. perl Makefile.PL
23. gmake

And that's as far as I got, when I ran into the three undefined symbols
reported by Michael. There's also a problem with missing members
of the CS_IODESC structure, also reported by Michael.

Most or all of the steps above, as well as answers to your specific
questions like "how does it know to use freetds?" are answered in the
README and INSTALL files that come with the packages (and the FAQ
document for the cvs commands). Sorry I can't be of more help. I'll
leave patching of the freetds C headers to those who are on more
intimate terms with their internals.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline AT rksystems.com