freetds - Re: freetds digest: August 08, 2001

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ruffin Bailey" <Ruffin.Bailey AT noaa.gov>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: freetds digest: August 08, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:22:09 -0400

> If you guys (Java folk), do set up a CVS at sourceforge, make sure it is
> called something different, so that it is clear that while it may be based
> on Craigs work, it is not Craigs work.

Here's the sticking point there... the copyright requires that the code
look a lot like it does when it's from Craig. Do redistributions of
*modified* code in binary format require that "the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution"
must be in there? Looks like source or binary, the answer's yes.

Anyhow, I don't think it'll be a big deal; I suppose you just tack on
more verbige in addition to what's already there -- any volunteers to
get the site set up? I'm still a few months away from having good
quality "side project time", I'm afraid.

Here's the license from Tds.java (should be the same on each file):
//
// Copyright 1998, 1999 CDS Networks, Inc., Medford Oregon
//
// All rights reserved.
//
// Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
// modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
// 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
// notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
// 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
// notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
the
// documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.
// 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
software
// must display the following acknowledgement:
// This product includes software developed by CDS Networks, Inc.
// 4. The name of CDS Networks, Inc. may not be used to endorse or
promote
// products derived from this software without specific prior
// written permission.
//
// THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY CDS NETWORKS, INC. ``AS IS'' AND
// ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
// IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE
// ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL CDS NETWORKS, INC. BE LIABLE
// FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL
// DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE
GOODS
// OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
// HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
STRICT
// LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY
WAY
// OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
OF
// SUCH DAMAGE.
//

Ruffin Bailey

--
Ruffin.Bailey at noaa.gov | Database Management Systems Group
TPMC.com contractor | NOAA Coastal Services Center

Good programmers steal code.
Great programmers know whose code to steal.

  • Re: freetds digest: August 08, 2001, Ruffin Bailey, 08/09/2001