freetds - Re: OUT OF MEMORY PROBLEM WHEN RETRIEVING DATA FROM MS SQL SERVER

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Hector Sandoval <hector AT linux.it.teu.ac.jp>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: jklowden AT speakeasy.org
  • Subject: Re: OUT OF MEMORY PROBLEM WHEN RETRIEVING DATA FROM MS SQL SERVER
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:13:52 +0900

Hello James,

First, thank you very much for your reply. It helped me too much.

> For a reasonable value of XXX, you shouldn't see out-of-memory errors.
> What happens
> if, for instance, you choose "set textsize 8096"?

I will try once again setting a reasonable TEXTSIZE parameter. In fact the
parameters I've used were selected without any particular rule.

> > One more question? Data to be copied is in JAPANESE. Do I have to set the
> > charset
> > and language by myself?
>
> I'm afraid you won't like the answer.
>
> MS SQL Server stores your text in Unicode, which unfortunately is not
> processed by
> FreeTDS in a way that will preserve CJK encodings. The Unicode->Ascii
> algorithm
> simply removes the high byte, which works onlyfor Latin-1 scripts. As
> things stand,
> even Greek is broken.
>
> If you have looked at the list archives, you know there's been some
> discussion about
> how to fix this. In addition to the usual constraints (time, energy,
> enthusiasm,
> know-how), the FreeTDS project needs an interested person who knows for
> instance
> Greek or Japanese and would be willing to help with testing and such.
>
> If you'd look over the recent discussions between Steve and Brian, I for
> one would be
> interested in your opinion of what should be done.

Thank you for your comments. I would really like to help in some way. The
only factor is that I need i little bit of time to acquire more information
about both freeTDS and Japanese cosing system :)

I have just started using freeTDS as well as I am just starting to realize
all the problems a programmer must suffer when trying to put a system where
one of the components does not have a good documentation, or if it has, its
hidden somewhere.

Anyway, personally I feel like its time for me to give something in return to
the "big community" and maybe this is a good chance.

Once again, thank you.

Sincerely,

Hector

P.S. By the way, with all the problems we have decided to cope with "our"
problem using MS SQL's bcp command, put everything in a text file, and using
an automated FTP connection retrieve the files and just copy them to
PostgreSQL server. Until now its working fine.... maybe because until now its
just an idea.

--
Hector R. Sandoval Mier, Ph.D. Student