freetds - Re: OUT OF MEMORY PROBLEM WHEN RETRIEVING DATA FROM MS SQL SERVER

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: OUT OF MEMORY PROBLEM WHEN RETRIEVING DATA FROM MS SQL SERVER
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:16:14 -0400

fossito wrote:

> The problem starts when I use a "SELECT * FROM MY_TABLE" query.
>
> I receive either an "Out of memory" message or a "Segmentation Fault"
> message. The segmentation fault appears only when I use the "SET TEXTSIZE
> XXX" query.

For a reasonable value of XXX, you shouldn't see out-of-memory errors. What
happens
if, for instance, you choose "set textsize 8096"?

> One more question? Data to be copied is in JAPANESE. Do I have to set the
> charset
> and language by myself?

I'm afraid you won't like the answer.

MS SQL Server stores your text in Unicode, which unfortunately is not
processed by
FreeTDS in a way that will preserve CJK encodings. The Unicode->Ascii
algorithm
simply removes the high byte, which works onlyfor Latin-1 scripts. As things
stand,
even Greek is broken.

If you have looked at the list archives, you know there's been some
discussion about
how to fix this. In addition to the usual constraints (time, energy,
enthusiasm,
know-how), the FreeTDS project needs an interested person who knows for
instance
Greek or Japanese and would be willing to help with testing and such.

If you'd look over the recent discussions between Steve and Brian, I for one
would be
interested in your opinion of what should be done.

Regards,