freetds - Re: Free TDS/JDBC Driver problem .Help

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Kevin Fries" <kelfink AT yahoo.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Free TDS/JDBC Driver problem .Help
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:34:12 -0400

> I don't think there's any obviously correct behavior here.
> Transactions only make sense in the context of the underlying
> server process, and (*especially* in FreeTDS_JDBC) there's no
> obvious correlation between a statement and a spid. Moving
> transaction control to the Connection could lead one to believe
> all sorts of dangerous things about the relatedness of unrelated
> server processes.

Oh! I hadn't noticed how Tds's get pooled within the Connection.
Sounds like my only hope for using multiple Statement objects per
transaction
will be to make the driver only use one Tds connection at a time, and to
re-use it for each Statement. I'm not an ODBC practitioner, but I've
worked with other JDBC drivers, and all of them commit only at the
Connection level, unless autocommit is on. I do see where the JDBC spec
leaves this a bit open for interpretation, however. If I can get my
transactions to work using just the one Tds object for all Statements,
I'll let you know.
Thanks
Kevin Fries
kelfink AT yahoo.com