freetds - Installing FreeTDS, DBI, etc.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "John J. Reilly" <dblist AT fingerlust.wtfs.net>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Installing FreeTDS, DBI, etc.
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 18:55:35 -0400

Hello all,

I'm new to the list, so please be gentle. :-)

I'm trying to connect to a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database from a Linux
box using perl scripts. I think I'd like to use FreeTDS and one of the
DBI modules to accomplish this. I've been going around in circles for a
few days now trying to figure out exactly what software I need, and how to
install & configure it. And to be honest, I'm getting more and more
befuddled with each README and FAQ that I read. Needless to say, I'm
fairly new at database connectivity topics, but I am somewhat competent
with Linux, so if given good directions I'd be in decent shape.

If anyone here would be willing to provide me with newbie-oriented
information on how to accomplish this from start to finish (or point me to
where this information could be found), I'd be eternally grateful. :-)

Once again, a rundown:

Connecting to:
Microsoft SQL Server 2000
From:
Linux (redhat 6.2)
Using:
FreeTDS, and perl DBI

Thanks in advance for any help, and I apologize for my ignorance. :-)

- John J. Reilly
- dblist AT fingerlust.wtfs.net