freetds - Re: freetds and Python

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jim Kilmer <jkilmer AT theopalgroup.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: freetds and Python
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:03:08 -0400

> > I've never heard of Python bindings for FreeTDS. If you do find
> > something, I'd like to add it to the User Guide.

Just so you don't think I posted and then started ignoring you... ;)
We're working on this and I will get back to you as soon as I have any
free time to dedicate towards figuring out where all of the problems
are.

There is currently a Python/FreeTDS module available HERE:
http://lithos.gat.com/~osborne/pythondoc/msdb/msdb.html

However, that module is a bit flaky in its support for the weird things
MS-SQL sometimes returns (such as multiple distinct result tables for a
single query such as in table design queries, et al...), and overall a
bit unreliable as it has only two operating modes: total success and
total failure. This module is NOT in _ANY WAY_ Python DB-API
compliant! If you just need simply query processing, it should work
okay however.

Once we have a solution towards getting the official Sybase python
module working with FreeTDS, or at least a comprehensive To-Do list, I
will be sure to post that all here.

~Jim