freetds - Re: FreeTDS with PHP on OSX?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS with PHP on OSX?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:21:46 -0400

At 12:52 AM +0000 6/24/01, James K. Lowden wrote:
Hi Gabriel,

gricard AT mac.com wrote:

I've got a system running OSX. I managed to get FreeTDS compiled
and installed and then compiled PHP 4.0.5 with the FreeTDS libraries. I
cannot seem to get it to connect to the DB. I need to connect to an MS
SQL Server running 6.5. It appeared from the documentation that I should
use version 4.2, which I am. My interfaces entry looks like this:

mssqldb
query tcp tds4.2 a.b.c.d 1433
master tcp tds4.2 a.b.c.d 1433

Your configuration is known to work; it's almost certainly a configuration issue.

Are you sure about that? Yes, I and others are using FreeTD with MacOS X. But I've yet to hear of anyone getting it to work with PHP. Maybe PHP 4.0.5 fixed something, but 4.0.4 wouldn't compile.

MacOS X has a dynamic binding mechanism that causes problems with porting some unix code, particularly when it will be dynamically loaded (i.e. getting database drivers to load in perl/mod_perl when they are already compiled into apache via php).

"The best assumption to have
Mark J. Lilback is that any commonly held
<mark AT lilback.com> belief is wrong." -- Ken Olsen,
http://www.lilback.com/ founder, Digital Equip. Corp.