freetds - Re: Documentation considerations

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Documentation considerations
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:40:53 +0000

Brian Bruns wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2001, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > This idea leads me to another question: what should the make file do
> > vis-a-vis userguide.sgml? Nothing? Use OpenJade (creates a dependency)
> > and generate the html? Or, should the html be included in CVS, such
> > that "make install" plunks the html in, say, /usr/doc/freetds? That's
> > what a lot of packages do, perl for one.
>
> I think we should generate the html and roll that out with the tarball. I
> don't see any real value to putting in the makefile.

I'd like to recapitulate what I took to be the sense of the senate on this
topic, in
anticipation of the 0.52 version.

1. userguide.sgml will be in CVS. Will it be in the source tarball?
Should be
IMHO. As Mr. Cameron points out, if it's not there people can't send patches
for
it. Also, if you Jade have you can html make.

2. Tarball should include a .tgz of the HTML version of the UG, like the
man
says. *I* think the make should install the docs a la ntp, but I know
nothing from
make files, so for once I'm not going to suggest anything.

3. Man pages would be nice. Really, they would be.

As newly admitted committer (not to be confused with a newly committed
admitter),
I'll commit the lastest UG just as soon as I get that write access thing
working.
I'll also add "freetds.conf.gen" (converts interfaces->freetds.conf) and its
readme.

I'll add a page to the UG for freetds.conf. Here's a ready place for a man
page,
too. Never did one of those. Anyone have a favorite technique for creating
man
pages from text/sgml/html/other?

I know, Mr. Woods will be the first one to tell me that UG page ought not
look like a
man page. I probably agree with him. But I do think it would be darn nice
to 'man 5
freetds.conf' and get what you want without, as he says, "breaking out the
browser."