freetds - Re: Question on CTLIB and DBLIB

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Question on CTLIB and DBLIB
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:27:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Devin wrote:

> Actually, I know that they are seperate APIs that work with TDS but for
> communicating with SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 7 can one just use
> libtds? Are the ctlib libraries and the dblib libraries linked directly
> within libtds? I have tried to find this answer in the makefile but
> autoconf makes it almost impossible to find out what files are linking
> with what. If you were creating a small little test application would you
> link with only libtds or would you link with dblib, ctlib, and also
> libtds. I think this is where I am lost.

libtds is linked into libct, libsybdb, and libtdsodbc (for ct-lib, dblib,
and ODBC respectively). So, you can compile libtds as standalone and use
it to run some unittests, but it doesn't get you much. What you really
want is to compile one of the libraries (depending on exactly what you're
trying to do) and include the object files from libtds. Or even just
reference libtds.dll from the other (windows....export file is
it?).

The reason we did it this way is 1) linking to a single lib is much easier
for the application side of things and 2) compatibility with dblib
programs that knew only about libsybdb.a

Hope this clears things up a bit,

Brian