freetds - Re: Question on CTLIB and DBLIB

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Devin" <devin AT aiyowei.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Question on CTLIB and DBLIB
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:32:25 -0400

> Hello Devin,
>
> Devin wrote:
>
> > I am attempting to port freetds over to a Windows platform
>
> That sounds like an interesting project.
>
> > What are CTLIB and DBLIB?
>
> The Tabular Data Stream is a protocol, a definition of "bytes on the wire",
> of
> messages exchanged with the server.
>
> tdslib is a library that implements the Tabular Data Stream.
>
> dblib, ctlib, and odbc are names of APIs that applications can use to
> communicate
> with a server that speaks TDS. In FreeTDS, there is a library for each of
> these
> APIs. They all let tdslib do the low-level communication work. That's
> what Brian's
> referring to when he says they "all ride atop libtds".

Actually, I know that they are seperate APIs that work with TDS but for
communicating with SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 7 can one just use
libtds? Are the ctlib libraries and the dblib libraries linked directly
within libtds? I have tried to find this answer in the makefile but
autoconf makes it almost impossible to find out what files are linking
with what. If you were creating a small little test application would you
link with only libtds or would you link with dblib, ctlib, and also
libtds. I think this is where I am lost.