freetds - Re: Unicode

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Nick Gorham <nick AT lurcher.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Unicode
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 20:15:52 +0100

vorlon AT netexpress.net wrote:

> "Don't break anything" certainly applies to existing APIs that are defined
> return (char *). Are there other APIs defined (perhaps by Microsoft) that
> will return UCS2 (or wchar_t *)? If not, perhaps FreeTDS should be leading
> the way...

The ODBC 3.51 Unicode API uses UCS2.

The MS SQL Server ODBC driver only deals with UCS2 Unicode, and leaves it to
the
driver manager to convert to 8 bit for non unicode apps. AFAIK it does this by
loosing the 8 MSB's

--
Nick Gorham
When I die, I want to go like my grandfather did, gently while sleeping,