freetds - Unicode

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Unicode
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:42:49 +0000

Steve Langasek wrote:

> The problem is that the 16-bit Unicode character space isn't large enough to
> cover all of the oriental character sets.

For some value of "all", you're probably right, Steve. But I think it would
carry us
pretty far.

(I'm just relying on Sybase, Microsoft, and Gnu manuals, here. No real
experience.)

>From what I understand, Unicode is UCS-2 and is 16-bit. It can be converted
UTF-8, a multibyte counted-string system (no null terminators). All three
manuals
state Unicode can represent Chinese. (There's only one written Chinese
language. Is
there more than one "character set"?)

Sybase: "In UCS-2 all characters; ASCII, Latin-based characters, and Asian
ideographs; are encoded as 2-byte, 16-bit characters."

Gnu: "Unicode was originally planned as a 16-bit character set, whereas
ISO 10646
was designed to be a 31-bit large code space. The two standards are
practically
identical. They have the same character repertoire and code table, but Unicode
specifies added semantics."
http://www.gnu.org/manual/glibc-2.2.3/html_node/libc_85.html

There doesn't seem to be any support out there for UCS-4, unless you count
Gnu's
32-bit wchar_t type (which they say isn't strictly compliant). So, supporting
Unicode would put FreeTDS on par with its databases.

Interesting. Sybase has Unicode support too, but we never hear about it.

Regards,