freetds - Unknown marker errors selecting bit field (was How to read Strings bigger than 255 chars)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Darryl Friesen" <Darryl.Friesen AT usask.ca>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Unknown marker errors selecting bit field (was How to read Strings bigger than 255 chars)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:18:30 -0600

>> Ok, that is a known bug in 0.51. It's fixed in CVS.
>
> I grabbed the freetds.snapshot.tgz from the web site and installed it.
Now
> when I execute the query, my Apache error_log is full of stuff like:
>
> Unknown marker: 116!!
> Unknown marker: 97!!
> Unknown marker: 108!!
> Unknown marker: 32!!
> Unknown marker: 72!!
> Unknown marker: 101!!
> Unknown marker: 97!!
> Unknown marker: 108!!
> Unknown marker: 116!!

I've got a bit more info about my problem. My client is Digital Unix 4.0F
with the latest freetds.snapshot.tgz (May 30 I think) using the TDS 7.0
protocol. Server is a Windows NT 4.0 box with MS SQL Server 7.0.

When I select a field of type bit which allows NULLs, I get the above
Unknown marker errors. Selecting bit fields which do _not_ allow NULLs does
not cause this error.

Brian, when you say "fixed in CVS" do you mean after that last snapshot was
taken? Should I really be grabbing source from the CVS repository?

My fix was to change the table design so that the field does not allow
NULLs; everything worked great after that.

- Darryl

Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst Darryl.Friesen AT usask.ca
Education & Research Technology Services, http://gollum.usask.ca/
Department of Computing Services,
University of Saskatchewan
"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"