freetds - Re: freetds digest: May 24, 2001

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Chengkai Liang" <mikelia AT lycos.com>
  • To: "freetds digest recipients" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: freetds digest: May 24, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:42:58 -0700

You can try to use cygwin to compile the FreeTDS. In that case, you can just
use it as you were in Linux/FreeBSD ...
---
Thanks
~Mike L.

On Fri, 25 May 2001 00:01:03
TDS Development Group digest wrote:
> [...]
>use OleDB as provider).
>So my question: is it possible to port freetds to windows or can i find
>something similar for windows? I contacted Sybase for their client libs,
>which should work at least with MSSQL7, but nobody their was able to tell
>me, what we'd have to buy!?-(
>
>best regards and thanx 4 any help, VH.

>Subject: Re: FreeTDS on Win32?
>From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
>Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:30:37 -0400 (EDT)
>

>I have no direct experience with this other than to say, I know it's been
>done before. (There are a bunch of #ifdef WIN32 stuff in the code that
>somebody submitted to make it work). LIBTOOL apparently supports windows
>DLLs as well, so you should be good to go with a little elbow grease on
>your part.
>
>Brian
>
>On Thu, 24 May 2001, One Stone wrote:
>
>> I have written a perlish class lib for an ASP company, which handles B2B
>> communication for their webshops and their clients intranets. It works
>> great and fast on linux with freetds. We connect MSSQL2000 from linux and
>> it's real fun, to look at it running. But we have some clients, which do
>> not want linux machines in their networks, cause they aren't able to
>> administrate them (...). So we have to use our software on windows where i
>> weren't able to connect directly to the database, i have to use ODBC,
>> which makes performance a disaster ....(3-10 times slower ...even when I
>> use OleDB as provider).
>> So my question: is it possible to port freetds to windows or can i find
>> something similar for windows? I contacted Sybase for their client libs,
>> which should work at least with MSSQL7, but nobody their was able to tell
>> me, what we'd have to buy!?-(
>>
>> best regards and thanx 4 any help, VH.

>Subject: RE: FreeTDS on Win32?
>From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
>Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:49:35 -0400
>
>So we have to use our software on windows
>i have to use ODBC,
>which makes performance a disaster ....(3-10 times slower ...even when I
>use OleDB as provider).
>
>VH,
>
>May I ask, what exactly did you use? Perl::DBD (my inference) with FreeTDS
>on Linux and it worked fine, but Perl::ODBC on NT it was "3-10 times
>slower"? There are a lot of variables here that could explain the
>difference.
>
>I'm afraid I don't understand what you're looking for that Microsoft doesn't
>provide to connect an NT client to an NT server. I don't think you have to
>go through ODBC or Ole DB to reach MSSQL2000. Would DBD::Sybase will do the
>trick?
>
>--jkl

>Subject: Re: Php4-Freetds-Apache-Linux
>From: "Nazzareno Pierantozzi" <npierant AT medimatica.com>
>Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 22:20:56 +0200
>
>Ok! I am very happy to confirm that CVS snapshot has really fixed the bug

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!

From mikelia AT mailcity.com Fri May 25 00:44:16 2001
To: "freetds digest recipients" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "TDS
Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:42:58 -0700
From: "Chengkai Liang" <mikelia AT lycos.com>

> [...]

>use OleDB as provider).
>
>VH,
>
>May I ask, what exactly did you use? Perl::DBD (my inference) with FreeTDS
>on Linux and it worked fine, but Perl::ODBC on NT it was "3-10 times
>slower"? There are a lot of variables here that could explain the
>difference.
>
>I'm afraid I don't understand what you're looking for that Microsoft doesn't
>provide to connect an NT client to an NT server. I don't think you have to
>go through ODBC or Ole DB to reach MSSQL2000. Would DBD::Sybase will do the
>trick?
>
>--jkl

>Subject: Re: Php4-Freetds-Apache-Linux
>From: "Nazzareno Pierantozzi" <npierant AT medimatica.com>
>Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 22:20:56 +0200
>
>Ok! I am very happy to confirm that CVS snapshot has really fixed the bug

  • Re: freetds digest: May 24, 2001, Chengkai Liang, 05/25/2001