freetds - problems with make check

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Will Saxon" <wills AT housing.ufl.edu>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: problems with make check
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:02:34 -0400

Hello,

I realize this may have been covered in previous posts.. I think this
situation is slightly different though.

I cannot get FreeTDS 'make check' to work properly on a Sun Ultra-60
running Solaris 2.6. We have to use 2.6 because of another application we
run that only works with 2.6.

I have a Microsoft SQL Server (v7.0) running on another machine. I have
configured FreeTDS to build for TDS version 7.0. I have specified the SQL
server name in /etc/hosts to avoid some of the other problems I have read
about. FreeTDS compiles just fine, but when I 'make check' I get the
following:

t000#.c: Test stuff
tds_connect() failed
try_tds_login() failed
FAIL: t000#

every single time. I have verified that the FreeTDS machine is actually
attempting to connect to the SQL server - using a packet sniffer I can see
packets coming in. The database is not in single user mode or anything
like that. Note that I do not get the 'cannot assign requested address'
thing.

One thing that I have NOT done is set any environment variables. Since I
have not actually installed FreeTDS (I run make check before installing) I
have not set $SYBASE or anything like that.

I have performed another build on a separate machine (x86 based FreeBSD
4.3-STABLE) with no problems. I had everything configured the exact same
way, with the same information in PWD and interfaces. It worked the first
time, no problems at all. I have a few test scripts that I written already
(using DBI and DBD::Sybase) and they all work just great. I don't think I
am the problem with the situation.

One thing I just did was I compared logs from a successful test on the
FreeBSD machine with an unsuccessful one on the Solaris machine. The
initial packet sent is very similar in both tests, but not exactly the
same. Several bytes seem to shifted or swapped. Is this just a difference
between big and little endian bit ordering? Is this the problem? I can
proved copies of the logs to anyone who wants to look.

I am really interested in using this software for this project. It seems
to be the best way to do things. If only I could get it to work! :).

-Will