freetds - RPMs for upcoming release

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RPMs for upcoming release
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 22:05:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,

In the past a number of people have submitted RPMs after the tarball
release was made. Well this time we're going to do it up right. I've
forced myself to learn RPM and I'll be building it at the same time as the
0.52 tarball.

Which leads to my question. There seems to be two schools on this, a
simple binary rpm, or one for binaries and a -devel one that has the
header files and other developer goodies. Since, FreeTDS is basically
used by people building things on top of it (PHP, Perl, etc...) and thus
needs the headers to anything useful anyway, I'm leaning towards option
one. But, as always, I'm interested in dissenting opinions for why we
should adopt seperate packages.

BTW, anyone using FreeTDS with Python who could say a few words about it
for the User Guide?

Brian