freetds - Re: [Error connect: can't assign requested address on DGUX]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Emilio M.Recio <n2wog AT usa.net>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Error connect: can't assign requested address on DGUX]
  • Date: 10 May 2001 10:30:26 EDT

Hiya Kelly,

I have posted this problem to the list, and the best advice i have gotten is
to use the IP address in the first line for the server name

192.168.1.1
query ...

But this hasn't worked out for me. The problem is that the toolkit doesn't
find the interfaces file? But it only happens on ODD os's like HPUX/Solaris
etc. On linux it works fine! I also received a suggestion to cp
/usr/local/freetds/interfaces to ~/.interaface (but this didn't work either.)

Here's what worked for me with a test program:

I have edited the source files to print out debug statements as to what it's
reading in and out. Apparently sqsh's -H is for the client hostname, so you
have to use -S to indicate the server name leaving out -H altogether AFAIK.
Another thing is too, that either a) it's reading the wrong interface file (or
not at all) or b) it's got some hardcoded values in there. If you are a
programmer, lookat src/tds/unittests/common.c, comment out all the code in
read_login_info() replacing it with hardcoded server/uid/pwd/db instance
name... and set your TDSDUMP=/tmp/foo.log, then compile t0001.c which tests
logins, and see if that works. Since I am using the toolkit to design custom
program, and i'll be reading the information for logging in etc, from another
(oracle) database, setting the login values in the custom program itself is
realistic for me... but maybe not for you.

Today is the last day before i must abandon TDS altogether if I cannot
get data off of the MS-SQL server. If there are archives of this list
somewhere, read through the archives. Or i can email you all of my interaction
with this list within the last week. The reason is, that because I dont get an
error, logging in, i still get a problem with ``connection dead'' in the
tdsdumpfile.... and even sqlsh when I try to submit a query core dumps on me.

sqsh syntax that works for me (check correct casing) to login success:
SQSH -U FOO -P BAR -D MY_DB_INSTANCE -S 192.168.1.1

Kelly Sauke <ksauke AT fastenal.com> wrote:
> I'm getting the error above everytime I try to connect to anything using
> freetds. I get this error through sqsh as well as through perl. I've
poked
> through the archives and one suggestion was to put the hostname in my
> /etc/hosts file..that didn't work. I still get the error. I've tried
using
> the ip address on the sqsh command line and that doesn't seem to work
> either. I compiled freetds and sqsh on Linux for testing and everything
> works fine there, so I know the server (MS-SQL 7.0) is responding. I've
> double checked my $SYBASE variable and my interfaces file and they all look
> right. Anyone familiar with running this on DGUX or have any information
as
> to why this error my be occuring. This was compiled with gcc 2.7.2. Thanks
> for your help, I'm at a loss.

Best Regards,
E. M. Recio

* Applied Sociology and Participatory Research *
* Department of Psychology, Sociology, and Anthropology *
* Drexel University *
* Philadelphia, PA 19104; USA *
* Email: <n2wog AT usa.net> ICQ: <458042> *
* Homepage: < http://polywog.navpoint.com > *

  • Re: [Error connect: can't assign requested address on DGUX], Emilio M . Recio, 05/10/2001