freetds - documentation update and musing

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: documentation update and musing
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 00:15:11 +0000

All,

I have updated the FAQ. Several contributions were included and I hope
it's closer to right, now. In case I forgot (and even if I didn't),
thanks to those of you who sent me faqpatches.

I'm trying to make the User Guide a stand-alone document, something that
anyone can rely on to use FreeTDS without reading the list archives or
the FAQ. The FAQ will be reduced to a list of headlines that help
someone decide what FreeTDS is all about, where it's at, and what's
involved.

I think we need a place on the web site for a bug database of sorts. I
read the list pretty frequently, but I for one can't keep track of the
status of, say, text fields with MS SQL. I was tempted to add that to
the FAQ or UG, but I think documentation of what *doesn't* work should
be (if it may be so called) less formal.

There is some interest in revamping the whole site, HTML-wise. If
you're interested in playing that game, let me know and I'll put you in
touch.

Thanks for all your favorite pairs. I'm making small
improvements/corrections to the UG, and an updated total count will be
included in it.

One last acknowledgement. While I don't mind being seen (or not) as the
guy doing the documentation, I want to say publicly that while perhaps
half the *words* in the User Guide are mine, most of the *information*
came from Brian Bruns. Without him, there would be neither FreeTDS nor
its UG.

As always, comments suggestions complaints additions corrections
contributions naturally welcome.