freetds - Re: troubles using tds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Allen Grace" <a.grace AT au.darkbluesea.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: troubles using tds
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:36:19 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roman Hlynovski" <dr AT citynet.kz>
To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 2:59 PM
Subject: [freetds] troubles using tds

> the sample is:
> $query = 'create table 192.168.0.1 (BYTES_IN_CACHE datetime)';
> $sth = $dbh->prepare($query);
> $sth->execute;
>
> i've tried many combinations of ''' and '"' around the 192.168.0.1 value
> but couldn't get proper result

Hm. My first thought was that I wouldn't have tried to use a table name like
that, but what I find is that in Enterprise Manager you can get away with
it. However, Query Analyzer returns the same error code (170 - syntax error)
that DBD::Sybase did.

>From the manual:
table_name

Is the name of the new table. Table names must conform to the rules for
identifiers. The combination of owner.table_name must be unique within the
database. table_name can contain a maximum of 128 characters, except for
local temporary table names (names prefixed with a single number sign (#))
that cannot exceed 116 characters.

I'll leave it as an exercise for someone else to dig up the rules for
identifiers, but I'll bet that one of them is that you can't start an
identifier with a numeral, and another one will be that it can't contain a
non-alphanumeric character other than '_'.

My advice is to pick a different table name.

allen

--
Allen Grace
Irony Engineer

Dark Blue Sea Pty Ltd
ph 3007 0000
fax 3007 0001

***The opinions expressed in this email are my own and are not
representative of DBS Pty Ltd.***