freetds - Re: Apache install failure with Freetds/PHP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Allen Grace" <a.grace AT au.darkbluesea.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Apache install failure with Freetds/PHP
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:44:39 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "joe brown" <jbrown AT lizardtech.com>
To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 2:19 AM
Subject: [freetds] Re: Apache install failure with Freetds/PHP

> Hi, Thanks for the reply. How do you "install" libsybdb.so? I ran a find /
> -name=libsybdb.so and got this:
>
> /usr/local/src/freetds-0.51/src/dblib/.libs/libsybdb.so
>
> I've set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to this path, and SYBASE to
> /usr/local/src/freetds-0.51. But libsybdb.so is still invisible to Apache
> and PHP both.

That's the thing you're looking for.

But first a bit of background. "Installing" a library is not really a
meaningful concept; except insofar as you might put it into /usr/local/lib
or somewhere like that, but the reason you'd do that is that you'd know that
at runtime the operating system is going to be able to find it. This is the
purpose of LD_LIBRARY_PATH: it works just the same as PATH, but instead of a
colon-separated list of directories containing executables, it's a
colon-separated list of directories containing shared objects (.so files);
i.e. dynamic libraries. You can consider it installed, more or less, if the
directory it's in is listed in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I presume LD_LIBRARY_PATH had some other value before you set it to
/usr/local/blah/blah/blah; you don't want to change this beyond appending a
new directory to the end of it, otherwise you've broken something else.
Also: I hope you didn't set it to the file itself; this won't get you very
far.

If you correct this and it still doesn't work (I had similar problems
recently with finding oracle libraries while building apache - so you're not
alone) you could do what I did and create a symlink in /usr/lib or
/usr/local/lib to the actual file:

ln -s /usr/local/blah/libsybdb.so /usr/local/lib/libsybdb.so

which is not a particularly wonderful solution but gets the job done.

allen
--
Allen Grace
Irony Engineer

Dark Blue Sea Pty Ltd
ph 3007 0000
fax 3007 0001

***The opinions expressed in this email are my own and are not
representative of DBS Pty Ltd.***