freetds - ./configure with the CVS version of FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: David Hearn <david.hearn AT uk.xo.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: ./configure with the CVS version of FreeTDS
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:38:05 +0000

Hi, I've just subscribed to this list - hope that I've got it all correct.
Anyway, onto my question.

I've been happily using FreeTDS 0.51 (the tar.gz file off the main FreeTDS
webpage) for a while now, but I recently noticed that the last digit of a
numeric field was being chopped off when talking between a Perl DBI client
and
a MSSQL 7 db. I figured out where the problem was and 'fixed' it. I then
checked this mailing list, and apparently there was a post around the 12th
March which said that the CVS version had been updated to fix this. I
promptly got the CVS version to try it out. This is where I encountered a
problem.

When I did a ./configure it happily made the Makefile, but when I try make
(its a Debian system, so it uses gmake) I got the following messages:

djh@monster:~/temp/newfreetds/freetds$ make
cd . && aclocal
cd . && automake --gnu Makefile
cd . && autoconf
configure.in:36: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:37: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:38: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:39: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:40: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:41: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:98: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:19:AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
make: *** [configure] Error 1

>From this point on, if I ever try doing a ./configure I get the following
message:

checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
./configure: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL: command not found
checking for socket in -lsocket... (cached) no

I don't know much (anything) about ./configure etc, all I know though is that
I cannot make the CVS version.

I've followed the INSTALL file, but it seems that the CVS version isn't
working right, or I've got something wrong. I don't know enough about
./configure etc to try and fix it (or figure out what's wrong).

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

David Hearn

--
David Hearn
Trainee Engineer, Unix Development

Desk: 0208 957 1054 Mobile: 07974 423449
Fax: 0208 213 1880 Email: david.hearn AT uk.xo.com

  • ./configure with the CVS version of FreeTDS, David Hearn, 03/21/2001