freetds - Re: SQl Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SQl Server 2000
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:35:37 -0500 (EST)

I think there is a bit of confusion here. I'd suggest reading
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/sql/ba_highprog_56pc.htm

It seems our friends at Microsoft have introduced a new protocol version,
8.0, although they continue to support 4.2 and 7.0. The changes from
7.0 -> 8.0 seem to be mainly the 64bit 'bigint' type and column level
collations, whatever that is. If someone wants to send me network traces
of a TDS 8 conversation, I'll see about implementing it.

So, in theory there should be no problem using FreeTDS or FreeTDS/JDBC
with SQL Server 2000. Of course there may be existing bugs tickled by the
new server version ;-)

Remember ODBC is a API not a protocol. Whether you access SQL Server
through ODBC, OLE-DB, MS DbLib, JDBC, or FreeTDS, it's all TDS on the
wire.

Brian