freetds - syntax for connecting to database with FreeTDS?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "aellist" <aellist AT chg.mc.duke.edu>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: syntax for connecting to database with FreeTDS?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:44:42 -0500

I have been working with our Unix admin to get a connection working between
PHP 4.03pl1 and Sybase 11.5, running on Apache and Solaris. Needless to say,
it has not been smooth sailing. Our final solution (at this point) is to use
FreeTDS. It has been compiled into PHP without a problem.

I am not able to connect to the sybase server using PHP, and I want to make
sure I don't need to do something special to use FreeTDS. (this will help
eliminate 1 of several possible problems in the setup).

Currently, I'm just trying:
<?
if (sybase_connect("$SERVER_IP_PORT","$USER","$PASS")) echo "CONNECTED!!!";
?>

The variables are correct. But PHP returns the following error:
"Warning: Sybase: Unable to connect in /usr/http/htdocs/test.php on line 11"

As a complete newbie to FreeTDS, could you please let me know if I need to
use a different function or syntax to connect using FreeTDS. Conversely, let
me know if I'm doing this correctly so that I can move onto other possible
causes of the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Elliston

Center for Human Genetics