freetds - Re: FreeTDS under VMS (changes suggestion)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ruslan R. Laishev" <Laishev AT SMTP.DeltaTel.RU>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS under VMS (changes suggestion)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:20:14 +0300

James,
VMS Diff is not enough?

> However, I'm not convinced from your posting that the patch should even
> be considered ... why would we want to change FreeTDS to provide support
> for the OpenVMS $FAO system call? What is it you are trying to fix?
I have tried to fix a legacy programming practic:using of a ASCIZ
instead of ASCIC
and something like it represetntation of the ASCII string.

> Doesn't it work for everybody else already?
Yes. It will allow to use printf's specification like %.*s for
example, it allow to
help formating output w/o overhead caused by using strlen() for computing of
a string
length.

> If it doesn't work easily
> for OpenVMS users, why can't you create an OpenVMS abstraction layer?
For what?
It need to add length for an every string parameter and it's all.
--
Cheers.