freetds - Re: jdbc: freetds-jdbc used seriously anywhere ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: jdbc: freetds-jdbc used seriously anywhere ?
  • Date: 13 Nov 2000 17:48:06 +0100

Andreas Schörk <andreas.schoerk AT infor.de> wrote:

> hello, does anybody use this driver really in a productive
> environment.

I do (although I'm using a version with almost all patches sent to the
list applied).

The main reason why I don't face the problems you see is that

(1) my environment is more query oriented, I rarely need explicit
transactions and

(2) I've adapted my programming model to FreeTDS - something I don't
really like to do - I call Connection.commit before Statement.close
and don't use more than one Statement per explicit transaction.

This is, I can live with the limitations the driver currently imposes,
what bothers me most is that I tie my applications to the driver to
some extent (I'm not sure other drivers will like the order I invoke
commit and close) - and I'd prefer to not even tie them to SQL Server.

> So, I need to do some bigger not isolatable changes to the driver to
> make it work in to our project, but I would like not to do only
> hacks on my isolated code, are there any solutions to this ?
>
> I would like to open a branch put my changes in, including the
> ability to bind BigDecimals and to use the Procedures more
> effectively. But I am very isolated in a MS-Windows-NT and
> SQL-Server 7.0/2000 world here.

You can immediately chalk me up as a tester and maybe even contributor
(if I find enough time), this would be SQL Server 7 on the server
side, but I could at least add Linux as a client to the mix.

Stefan