freetds - jdbc: freetds-jdbc used seriously anywhere ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Schörk, Andreas" <andreas.schoerk AT infor.de>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: freetds-jdbc-bugs AT internetcds.com
  • Subject: jdbc: freetds-jdbc used seriously anywhere ?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:32:37 +0100

hello,
does anybody use this driver really in a productive environment.
I suspect that nobody is able to do that, because of problems caused by the
coupling of statements
with tds-connections what means coupling them with there own transactions.
I just had a problem, that only parts of a transaction have been rolled
back, because a statement which
did some substantial work was already closed and therefore the connection
did not know about it.
On the other side I like the other functionality very much and would like to
improve the driver in the
cases mentioned above.

I suspect that for these improvements, at least temporarily the ability to

have more than 1 active cursor
per connection has to be dropped until server-cursors are available. (if
sybase knows them)

Another solution could be to use tokens to couple sql-server connections,
but I do not know whether this
is possible in sybase as well and I had some bad experience in the past,
with locks and not being able to
use more than one ODBC-Connection in this case at the same time.

So, I need to do some bigger not isolatable changes to the driver to make it
work in to our project,
but I would like not to do only hacks on my isolated code, are there any
solutions to this ?

I would like to open a branch put my changes in, including the ability to
bind BigDecimals and to
use the Procedures more effectively. But I am very isolated in a
MS-Windows-NT and SQL-Server 7.0/2000
world here.

Any opinions ?

Andreas