freetds - Re: AIX- FreeTds 0.51

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: AIX- FreeTds 0.51
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:42:55 +0000

Brian Bruns wrote:

> Some (all?) versions of SQL Server 7 have broken dates
> and money. They send in little endian regardless of what was requested.
> If Microsoft fixes this in a service pack then, when talking to 7.0 SP1
> freetds needs to correct but for SP3 (or other mythical bug fix version)
> we must not fix it. There is no way to tell server version really, other
> than a compile time option. So the best way to handle this may be to flat
> emulate little endian with TDS 4.2.

> ... nothing gives the service pack in use (short of issuing a
> select @@version and parsing the results, ugh).

(This situation reminds me of the bad old days of modems, when to connect you
had to
know the speed, parity, and word size of the answering modem.)

Parsing @@version isn't only a pain in the neck, it probably is
self-defeating.
When/if the fix goes in, the code won't know it by reading the version
information.
Now, if MS would add a "sp_bugsfixed" procedure, we might have something (or
not).

What about probing, though? When the host is first accessed or the
connection is
first established, why not "select convert( datetime, '1/11/1990' )", examine
the
endian-ness of the result, and adapt the connection accordingly?

Another alternative of course would be a utility to probe each host and write
information to the interfaces file. New/upgraded hosts would only need the
utility
to be re-run instead of recompilation.