freetds - Re: AIX- FreeTds 0.51

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Mark Schaal <mark AT champ.tstonramp.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: AIX- FreeTds 0.51
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:10:24 -0800 (PST)

> Mark,
>

> > I don't see the need for connection level [endian] support.
>
> Could you please clarify that?
>
> Is that because you don't see a technical reason, or because you don't think
> the library will be used in a way that would exercise such a feature?
>
> Doesn't endian-ness differ based on the host database's OS/hardware?
>
> Just trying to understand....
>
> --jkl

What I understand "connection level" to mean, and I could be wrong,
is that the user could specify per connection "I want you to mimic
little/big-endian". However, the only need I am aware of is to
mimic little-endian on big-endian machine for TDS7.0 connections,
which we can auto-detect and set properly without user intervention.

In general endian-ness is based on CPU. For our purposes it is the
client hardware that matters. In TDS4.2 and TDS5.0 we specifiy in
the login packet whether data is formatted big- or little- and the
database interprets the packets accordingly. It appears that MS
discarded that in TDS7.0 so only little-endian (Intel) order is
supported. (And I spent at least an hour fiddling with the TDS7
login packet hoping to find that support. I believe the MS philosphy
is don't use the low-level protocol, route it through ODBC.)

I hope I didn't give the impression I meant don't support those
platforms. I was trying to give my $.02 on how to provide the
support.

Hope that helps,

Mark
--