freetds - Kudos

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Kudos
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:46:44 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all,

I ran across FreeTDS yesterday, and was simply ecstatic to find that this
functionality was available. Kudos to all the developers -- being able to
connect to MS SQL databases from Linux is going to come in very handy here.
I'm pleasantly surprised that FreeTDS works as well as it does, and I'm also
surprised that this library isn't more widely known: I'd never heard of it
before I did a google search, and the consensus from everyone I'd asked was
that there wasn't really any direct MS SQL support under Unix yet. Have you
all been really quiet about the project, or am I just overestimating the
potential popularity of this library? :)

Actually, I've used PHP for some time now, and although I knew there was
Sybase support available, I had no idea this meant MS SQL support as well. :/

Anyways, a quick question -- I see there's a configure option to set the TDS
protocol version, and there's also an environment variable to override this.
Does this mean that support for all the available TDS versions is compiled in,
regardless of the compile-time settings? It doesn't seem terribly clear to
me...

Thanks for a great product!

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer