freetds - Re: dbwritetext()

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dbwritetext()
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:09:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Christopher S. Weimann wrote:

> > The freetds project will continue to support dblib on both servers
> > as long as there is interest so there is no need to worry about it
> > if you are simply writing using freetds.
>
> It looks like the tds is the underlying protocol. What is ctlib?

dblib was developed by Sybase and was the API in use when Sybase licensed
SQL Server to Microsoft. Subsequently, Sybase development ctlib as a
replacement API to handle a wider variety of backend servers, and other
reasons. Microsoft never adopted it, but instead moved towards ODBC. So
dblib has been considered sort of a second class citizen by both
companies, although I personally like it better than either ctlib or ODBC.

Cheers,

Brian