freetds - Re: [jdbc] How to make those patch thinggies

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [jdbc] How to make those patch thinggies
  • Date: 03 Aug 2000 08:41:03 +0200

MM> 7) Test them against Sybase.

I've never done that - no opportunity. But if you can, you should do so
of course.

MM> 8) Now that you're happy with your revisions, all that's left to
MM> do is to create the patch. Take note of the CVS version number
MM> of the file you've changed and the file name and substitute them
MM> as appropriate in the line below:

MM> [type]cvs -d
MM> :pserver:anon-cvs AT freetds.internetcds.com:/Repository diff -u -r
MM> 1.18 DatabaseMetaData.java > DatabaseMetaData.diff

You don't need to specify the repository once you've checked out the
module, so

cvs diff -u -r 1.18 DatabaseMetaData.java > DatabaseMetaData.diff

would have the same effect.

And if you're diff'ing against the latest revision in CVS you can omit
the revision.

cvs diff -u DatabaseMetaData.java > DatabaseMetaData.diff

and just do a "cvs update" from time to time to stay current.

To generate a diff between your local copy and the current cvs
version, you can simply say

cvs diff -u > local.diff

and combine the patches against all files into a single diff file
patch will happily work on.

The whole method wont work if you are adding files of course.

Stefan