freetds - Re: Is this what I want?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tim Uckun <tim AT diligence.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Is this what I want?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:10:01 -0600

At 09:32 AM 07/19/2000 -0400, you wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Tim Uckun wrote:

Same answer you'll get for many open-source projects. You have the
disadvantage that there's no company guaranteeing the software and with
the economic incentive to enhance it. You have the advantage of access
to the source code. For many, this advantage outweighs the lack of a
vendor, and as you probably are aware, vendors are not always an
unalloyed blessing. For freetds, however, there's an extra twist to
consider, in that the project works without benefit of full access to
the specification it's implementing.

If I ever get decent support from a vendor I pledge allegience to them for life. Too bad it never actually happens. Seems like people's idea of support is to point the finger at somebody else or just to ignore you. I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't expect support one way or another. I am much more interested in a product that will work in the first. Not being a C programmer I doubt if I could actually use the source code or fix it though.

I would suggest you do some prototyping and stress-testing to make your
own determination as to the suitability of the software.

Yes I will start on this right away. Should I use the latest stable version (.5) or get the CVS snapshot?

:wq
Tim Uckun
Due Diligence Inc. http://www.diligence.com/ Americas Background Investigation Expert.
If your company isn't doing background checks, maybe you haven't considered the risks of a bad hire.